Saturday, February 10, 2007

My Picks for the Grammys

The only membership I kept after my departure from the corporate side of the music business was my membership to the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences (NARAS), which is the voting entity for the Grammy Awards. It was the most special one because you have to earn your membership. You have to have at least 6 album credits to your name to become a member, so becoming a member is an accomplishment I am very proud of.

Hence, I get the privilege of voting for the Grammys every year, and so thought I'd share my votes for the categories I'm most interested in...we'll see if my picks are in line with the rest of the Academy and the critics!

Record of the Year:
"Be Without You,'' Mary J. Blige
"You're Beautiful,'' James Blunt
"Not Ready to Make Nice,'' Dixie Chicks
"Crazy,'' Gnarls Barkley
"Put Your Records On,'' Corinne Bailey Rae

My pick: "You're Beautiful,'' James Blunt
Because I am a mushy girl. Seriously, it's a beautiful song that will be remembered for years to come.

Winner: "Not Ready to Make Nice,'' Dixie Chicks
Well, I do believe these girls have gotten the last word, no?

***************************
Album of the Year:
"Taking the Long Way,'' Dixie Chicks
"St. Elsewhere,'' Gnarls Barkley
"Continuum,'' John Mayer
"Stadium Arcadium,'' Red Hot Chili Peppers
"FutureSex/LoveSounds,'' Justin Timberlake

My pick: "FutureSex/LoveSounds,'' Justin Timberlake
I can't help it...he sings in falsetto like Barry Gibb. Seriously, he gets a lot of flack, but the guy has real talent. I'm just not into the other albums in this category.

Winner: "Not Ready to Make Nice,'' Dixie Chicks
Thank God we can all move on now...

***************************
Song of the Year:
"Be Without You,'' Johnta Austin, Mary J. Blige, Bryan-Michael Cox and Jason Perry (Mary J. Blige)
"Jesus, Take the Wheel,'' Brett James, Hillary Lindsey and Gordie Sampson (Carrie Underwood)
"Not Ready to Make Nice,'' Martie Maguire, Natalie Maines, Emily Robison and Dan Wilson (Dixie Chicks)
"Put Your Records On,'' John Beck, Steve Chrisanthou and Corinne Bailey Rae (Corinne Bailey Rae)
"You're Beautiful,'' James Blunt, Amanda Ghost and Sacha Skarbek (James Blunt)

My pick: "You're Beautiful"
Same reasons as above. Sorry, I can't jump on the Chicks or Underwood bandwagon on this one.

Winner: "Not Ready to Make Nice,'' Martie Maguire, Natalie Maines, Emily Robison and Dan Wilson (Dixie Chicks)
um...ooook...this one's for Sharon and Angie... :)

***************************
New Artist:
James Blunt
Chris Brown
Imogen Heap
Corinne Bailey Rae
Carrie Underwood

My pick: Carrie Underwood
You can't argue that she has talent and lasting power.

Winner: CARRIE UNDERWOOD
Thank God...Carrie, you finally made me 1-14 on my picks!!! geez!

***************************
Pop Vocal Album:
"Back to Basics,'' Christina Aguilera
"Back to Bedlam,'' James Blunt
"The River in Reverse,'' Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint
"Continuum,'' John Mayer
"FutureSex/LoveSounds,'' Justin Timberlake

My pick: "Back to Basics," Christina Aguilera
This category has the word "vocal" in it. This girl has pipes, and they are showcased on this album beautifully.

Winner: "Continuum,'' John Mayer
Well, it's definitely my second choice. Glad it won.

***************************
Best Country Album:
"Taking the Long Way,'' Dixie Chicks
"Like Red on a Rose,'' Alan Jackson
"The Road to Here,'' Little Big Town
"You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker,'' Willie Nelson
"Your Man,'' Josh Turner

My pick: "The Road to Here,'' Little Big Town
Hands down! If you haven't listened to this album, pick it up! The songs, the harmonies, the pickin'...everything about this album is perfect.

Winner: "Taking the Long Way,'' Dixie Chicks
Damn, people...share the love...unbelievable.

***************************
Best Female Country Vocal Performance
"Kerosene Miranda," Lambert
"I Still Miss Someone," Martina McBride
"Something's Gotta Give," LeAnn Rimes
"Jesus, Take The Wheel," Carrie Underwood
"I Don't Feel Like Loving You Today," Gretchen Wilson

My pick: "I Don't Feel Like Loving You Today," Gretchen Wilson
The song and the performance slay me.

Winner: "Jesus, Take The Wheel," Carrie Underwood
Woo hoo! I still like Gretchen's performance better.

***************************
Best Male Country Vocal Performance
"Every Mile A Memory," Dierks Bentley
"The Reason Why," Vince Gill
"The Seashores Of Old Mexico," George Strait
"Would You Go With Me," Josh Turner
"Once In A Lifetime," Keith Urban

My pick: "The Seashores Of Old Mexico," George Strait
Pure country song, pure country performance. Good stuff.

Winner: "The Reason Why," Vince Gill
Name recognition.

***************************
Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
"Not Ready To Make Nice," Dixie Chicks
"Heaven's My Home," The Duhks
"Boondocks," Little Big Town
"What Hurts The Most," Rascal Flatts
"Leave The Pieces," The Wreckers

My pick: "What Hurts The Most," Rascal Flatts
This was the hardest one to decide! All of the performances are excellent. I have to choose the Flatts guys because overall, it is a powerful performance in every way. Absolutely amazing. I crank it up everytime it comes on.

Winner: "Not Ready To Make Nice," Dixie Chicks
A political statement by a bunch of West Coast liberals. ;-)

***************************

Best Country Song
Every Mile A Memory
I Don't Feel Like Loving You Today
Jesus, Take The Wheel
Like Red On A Rose
What Hurts The Most

My pick: "What Hurts The Most," Rascal Flatts
Another difficult one to pick out of this lot. I would say that the structure, melody...eh, who am I kidding...I like it because it reminds me of something the Brothers Gibb would have written.

Winner: Jesus, Take The Wheel
Man, I am sucking in my picks this year...

***************************
Best Bluegrass Album
"Long List Of Heartaches," The Grascals
"Bluegrass," Jim Lauderdale
"Instrumentals," Ricky Skaggs And Kentucky Thunder
"Live At The Ryman," Marty Stuart And His Fabulous Superlatives
"All American Bluegrass Girl," Rhonda Vincent

My pick: "Long List of Heartaches" The Grascals
This has nothing to do with the fact that the bassist, Terry Smith, is the husband of one of my best blogger buddies, Sista. It is an excellent album, and another one to pick up as soon as possible.

Winner: "Instrumentals," Ricky Skaggs And Kentucky Thunder
Name recognition.

***************************
Best Comedy Album
"Blue Collar Comedy Tour — One For The Road," Bill Engvall, Ron White, Jeff Foxworthy & Larry The Cable Guy
"The Carnegie Hall Performance," Lewis Black
"Life Is Worth Losing," George Carlin
"Straight Outta Lynwood", "Weird Al" Yankovic
"You Can't Fix Stupid," Ron White

My pick: "Blue Collar Comedy Tour -- One For The Road," Bill Engvall, Ron White, Jeff Foxworthy & Larry The Cable Guy
I don't care who you are...that ritechair is funny. Git-r-done!

Winner: "The Carnegie Hall Performance," Lewis Black
Who the f*ck is Lewis Black?

***************************
Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
Can't Take It In (From The Chronicles Of Narnia — The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe), Imogen Heap
I Need To Wake Up (From An Inconvenient Truth), Melissa Etheridge
Our Town (From Cars), James Taylor
There's Nothing Like A Show On Broadway (From The Producers), Nathan Lane & Matthew Broderick)
Travelin' Thru (From Transamerica) Dolly Parton

My pick: "Travelin' Thru," Dolly Parton
I truly believe this song deserved the Oscar...what a rip off! Therefore, I hope the Academy had enough sense to vote for it this time and give her what she deserves! I did...

Winner: Our Town (From Cars), James Taylor
Damn.

***************************
Best Short Form Music Video
"8th Of November," Big & Rich - Deaton/Flanigen & Marc Oswald, directors
"When You Were Young," The Killers - Anthony Mandler, director
"Here It Goes Again," OK Go - a bunch of directors
"Dani California," Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tony Kaye, video director
"Writing On The Walls," Underoath - Anders Forsman, Ragnar Granstrand & Linus Johansson, directors

My pick: "8th Of November," Big & Rich - Deaton/Flanigen & Marc Oswald, directors
This is one of the most powerful videos I have ever seen, bar none. If you ever get the opportunity to see the extended documentary of the making of, you must. They show it on the video channels occasionally. If you don't tear up watching it, you ain't got a heart.

Oh, and George Flanigen is a hottie...old crushes die hard.

Winner: "Here It Goes Again," OK Go - a bunch of directors
This goes under my blog category: Bullshit.


***************************
Best Polka Album
Never mind...

Other shout-outs:

Frampton comes alive again! He won for Best Pop Instrumental Album...YAY!

Final Thoughts: I suck! I got 1 of 14 picks... I guess I should have jumped on the Chicks wagon after all...

No comments: