Thursday, August 31, 2006

Diana

Today I raise my glass to the late Princess of Wales. It was 9 years ago today that I was at my aunt's house, and she woke me up to the news. Having been an admirer of hers for years, I jumped out of the bed and ran to the television. My aunt lives out in the country and (still) does not have cable. I was missing my CNN bad that morning. I was completely shocked...it couldn't be possible that a person so full of life and beauty could be gone in the blink of an eye. Another reminder of our mortality and to treasure every day we are blessed to have.

A couple of years ago, the Diana exhibit was at the Ft. Lauderdale Museum of the Arts. I was fortunate enough to be able to take my mom and daughter to it. I will never forget how breathtaking her wedding gown was. The case filled an entire room and the train of the dress was amazing. TV did not do the dress justice. I had always thought the dress was frumpy. Up close it had intricate beading and detail that was practically invisible on the television and in pictures. It was an incredible experience to see so many articles from her life so close.

So once again we commemorate the life of one of the most influential women of our time. May she rest in peace.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I also remember that evening... hearing of the accident, watching the updates... and in the wee hours of the morning, finally hearing that she had died. I wept for her... but more so, I wept for her boys. She was their only link to some sort of normalcy...living as a royal.

It's hard to believe it's been 9 years.